Here at Bushy Hill, we aim to encourage an understanding of the importance of caring and good relationships with others. The Religious Education taught is based on Christian morals and principles and children also learn about a range of world faiths. At the same time pupils are helped to understand the history and culture of other nations and to have an understanding of other religions. At Bushy Hill we follow the Agreed Syllabus for Religious Education in Surrey Schools:
https://www.cofeguildford.org.uk/education/standing-advisory-council-on-religious-education/surrey-agreed-syllabus-for-religious-education and ensure that all compulsory RE topics are covered through our creative curriculum approach.
On leaving Bushy Hill a successful learner of this subject will:
- Know the main teaching and beliefs of world religions;
- Show awareness of key non- religious organisations;
- Identify key artefacts from different religions, treating them sensitively;
- Ask challenging questions and reflect on answers given;
- Visit places of worship and interact with members of different faiths;
- Be a tolerant and respectful member of the local community/ society.
In line with the requirements of the law, parents or carers have a right to withdraw their child(ren) from both RE and / or the daily act of collective worship. Whilst legally, parents don’t have to give a reason for the withdrawal, we hope that it would be the beginning of a discussion with the Head Teacher as to how this issue can be resolved.